Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Huaraz, Peru

Our weekend started on Wednesday after class got out at six and I went home to start packing for our trip. Me and six other girls got on a bus that night at 10:30 for an 8 hour ride to Huaraz. None of us really slept on the bus ride there so when we got to Huaraz we took a cab to the nice little hostel we would be staying at and took a nap. After we woke up a few of us walked around to find a place to eat lunch and explore the town.
It was a good day to just relax because the next few days we would be very busy. When we first arrived in Huaraz we were approached by a tour guide who offered us a 3 day hiking trip for just 100 soles (which is equal to $30). Day one of our hiking trip started off at 8:30 in the morning with a 2 hour bus ride to Huascaran National Park where we went on a short hike to Pastoruri Glacier. We did not know that we would be hiking to a glacier that day so none of us were prepared for the weather. It started sleeting once we got to the top and was very cold but I have missed the cold and snow so I enjoyed it (even though I didn't have warm enough clothes on).






Day 2 was a little different. We started the day 5:30 am with a 3 hour bus ride to another part of the Huascaran National Park, this time to hike to Laguna 69, a beautiful lake hidden up in the Andes Mountains. We heard that the hike would be difficult, but we had no idea what we got ourselves into. The hike to Laguna 69 was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Nine miles up the mountains and a total of 7 hours there and back. It rained off and on the whole way up and by the time we got to the top we were exhausted. But it was worth it because Laguna 69 and the hike there is the most beautiful place I have ever been. I can't put into words how amazing and beautiful this place is.
















For day 3 we thankfully did not have another hike. This time we had a 3 and a half hour bus ride to a small town called Chavin were we visited pre-inca ruins. It was very interesting and relaxing compared to the previous days, though walking around in the underground tunnels freaked me out a little bit.


Then almost as soon as we got back to our hostel we had to leave to catch another bus back to Lima. We had spent a total of 15 hours on a bus that day and I did not sleep through any of it. So when I got back home at 6 am on Monday I took a four hour nap before class. I am still recovering from lack of sleep and studying for the midterms this week. Our spring break starts this Thursday and we will be back on a bus, this time to Mancora, to spend ten days on the beach. I am so excited to spend some time on the beach that I almost don't mind the 18 hour bus ride there.

No comments:

Post a Comment