Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Night Before

This past week has been stressful. From running to the store to get last minute things for the trip, figuring out what to pack, and saying goodbye to family and friends. I am incredibly nervous but also very excited to spend the next four months in Peru. 
It hasn't really hit me yet that I will be flying out of the country tomorrow. It feels like a normal night, like nothing eventful will happen tomorrow, and I will go back to UNK soon. I have had many mixed emotions about going to Peru. Some days I felt as though I couldn't do it anymore because I was too scared and other days I was so ready to go I would've taken a flight out that day. Right now I think I may be so overwhelmed that I don't feel anything at all.
This past week I have been very anxious. I'm not scared to live in a different country. I'm not scared to live with people I have never met before. I'm not even worried about getting too homesick. I think my biggest fear about studying abroad in Peru is the language barrier. Yes, I have taken all of the required courses and I have been taking Spanish classes for a few years now. But I still feel as though I am unprepared for this experience, that my Spanish skills will not be enough for me communicate with my host family or other people I may meet in Lima.
Though, after spending a few weeks with my host family I am sure I will pick up on the language quicker than I think. With that being said I am very excited to meet my host family tomorrow, learn about Peruvian culture, improve my Spanish speaking skills, and explore all that Lima has to offer!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment